Not too long ago, I made a video tour of my pantry.
OK, I do know that sounds a little bit unusual. Permit me to elucidate.
In Remedy Your Dinner Dilemma, it covers how one can inventory a pantry, together with some life-saving pantry recipes. So the pantry video tour was as an example an instance of a working pantry.
Anyway, whereas I used to be filming, I began pondering how I actually ought to use my freezer as an extension of my pantry. And that it will be nice to indicate my college students my freezer as nicely.
On fast inspection, my freezer was wanting prefer it had been banished to Siberia, slightly than a beautiful supply of final minute meals. So the freezer tour thought was promptly scrapped.
Not lengthy afterwards, I used to be contacted by Susan Austin, a buddy of a superb buddy who has written a cookbook known as Frost Chunk: Simple Cooking for Your Freezer. Would I be curious about taking a look? Completely.
So impressed by Susan’s ingenious e book, listed here are eight concepts to avoid wasting time utilizing your freezer.
- maintain a inventory of frozen greens.
Whereas recent tends to be greatest from a style perspective (aside from frozen peas), frozen veg can save useful time. And lets face it, frozen greens are higher for you than no veg. Chopped and able to go, issues like frozen broccoli, spinach, cauliflower and beans prepare dinner in about the identical period of time as recent, however save useful minutes within the prep space.
- Make sandwiches for lunches upfront.
Susan’s e book has a heap of ideas for making faculty (or grownup) sandwiches in bulk and freezing so within the mornings you simply want to tug them out they usually’re good to go. Filling ideas embody cooked meats, canned fish, cheese, pesto and extra.
- Freeze cooked meals that may defrost in a lunchbox.
Should you’re uninterested in sandwiches, it does not imply you’ll be able to’t additionally benefit from the freezer lunch thought. Particularly nice for dishes that may defrost in the course of the morning and be eaten at room temperature. Lentil salads, fried rice, and meatballs are a number of concepts to get you began.
- Make brunch upfront
Whereas having folks over for brunch is usually a fantastic technique to catch up, who needs to stand up tremendous early to organize a feast? I really like Susan’s brunch chapter with recipes for cheat-day pancakes, corn breads, muffins, pastries and pies.
- freeze recent meat & fish ready prepared for the oven.
Put together your uncooked proteins with marinades, stuffings or herb crusts so that they’re able to bake or BBQ as quickly as they’re defrosted. An excellent tip for stress-free entertaining.
- Freeze leftovers and small parts.
I’ve prevented stating the plain about the entire prepare dinner in bulk and freeze for later thought. Leftovers, nonetheless, are one thing that I not often assume to freeze. Good for small households who aren’t eager on consuming leftovers the subsequent day.
- Freeze cookie dough able to bake.
Subsequent time I make a batch of those cookies, I’ll be freezing what I do not want for one more day. Cannot wait.
- Freeze cooked desserts and desserts.
The factor with baking is you tends to finish up with extra cake than wanted, which may result in over indulgence. Freezing for later is a superb technique to keep away from temptation and waste.
easy vegetarian supper menu
chickpea burgers with yoghurt sauce cucumber ribbon salad
chickpea burgers with yoghurt sauce serves 2
Impressed by Susan Austin’s chickpea & roasted capsicum patties from ‘Frost Chunk: Simple Cooking for Your Freezer’. Susan recommends cooking the chickpea patties after which freezing to reheat direct from frozen both within the oven or a fry pan.
Whereas I LOVE the flavours in these burgers, they’re fairly fragile, even with the egg to bind them. I’ve discovered it is necessary to not over-process the chickpeas to assist keep away from your burgers falling aside within the pan. Simply pulse till chopped.
The excellent news is that they nonetheless style scrumptious in the event that they do occur to crumble.
1 can chickpeas (400g / 14oz), drained 2 teaspoons floor cumin 1 egg 1/2 cup roasted pink capsicum (bell pepper), diced 6 – eight tablespoons pure yoghurt
- Pulse chickpeas and cumin in a meals processor for a number of seconds or till roughly chopped. You don’t need a easy puree right here.
- Crack egg right into a small bowl and whisk frivolously. Add egg and pulse once more for a number of seconds.
- Fold capsicum into the chickpeas by hand so it retains its form. Season and utilizing your palms, kind into 2 burgers. Pop within the fridge for a couple of minutes.
- Warmth a small fry pan on a medium excessive warmth. Add a little bit oil and prepare dinner burgers for round three minutes on both sides or till golden. Being cautious when turning so they do not crumble.
- In the meantime, stir yoghurt in a small bowl till easy and season generously.
- Serve burgers with yoghurt on prime and cucumber salad (recipe under) on the facet.
cucumber salad serves 2 as a facet
My Irishman is allergic to cucumber, so I not often use it. However I used to be in search of one thing completely different to a shaved zucchini salad to serve with the chickpea burgers and the cucumbers simply jumped out at me.
This salad will keep crunchy within the fridge for a number of days however will not go so nicely within the freezer. Be at liberty so as to add in some recent coriander (cilantro) or parsley leaves for a bit extra greenness.
2 lebanese cucumbers 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Peel ribbons from the skin of the cucumbers, stopping whenever you get to the seeds. Discard seeds and place ribbons in a small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper then toss in lemon juice.